Thursday, July 30, 2009

Week 3 EOC: How I Buy Stuff

When I shop for products, I tend to shop according to my personality and personal preferences. I am not really concerned with setting trends, buying according to a desired lifestyle, or buying according to an ideal self image. I buy according to myself concept, “… or self perception, is how consumers perceive themselves,” (Marketing, Lamb, pg. 76). I bought a striped, mini- jean vest last spring. I thought it was really cute and the combinations of usage I could get out of this vest seemed almost endless. I wore this jean vest, while out with my family at dinner last week, and my sister told me politely that I was wearing something out of fashion; I was humored because when I bought this vest, she told me it was one of the cutest pieces I had bought that day. So apparently it was cute last year, but since no one thinks it is this year, except for me, I shouldn’t wear it? I told her I did not care what she thought and if Jesus told me he did not like what I was wearing, I would tell him to look the other way. Quite cynical, I am, but the point is, what people like is always changing. I guess some slower than others. I am going to buy what I feel I need and what I like at the moment. If I need a new flat iron to get the waves out of y hair at a lower heat setting, that is what I am going to buy. I want to buy a Gizmo shirt because it reminds of my childhood; I am going to buy it. If what I buy happens to be cool or trendy at the time, I guess I am catching up to all those fashionistas out there. If I want to buy a Coach bag because I feel should have a bag designated for special occasions like funerals, baby showers, and the first day of school, then I am going to buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment